Once I discovered why I exist (my life purpose), the first question I asked myself was “Now what?” That is when I realized I needed to start living out my life purpose!
The next logical question is, “How do I live out my life purpose?”
Recently I’ve been writing about the why question, and now, I want to ask how. The two most important and powerful open-ended questions begin with why and how.
In my previous blog post, I wrote about discovering why you exist (your life purpose).
Like me, after you have discovered your life purpose, it’s time to ask yourself “What now?” And, “How do I live out my life purpose?”
You can live out your life purpose by following three simple steps.
Every successful life purpose needs some structure (it needs an agenda to act upon) because you now understand that…
“Your life purpose is not something you want to do, but something you have to do – It is why you exist.”
– Bobby Albert
The following steps will help you walk through an agenda to act upon today:
Initiate conversations and share your life purpose with your spouse and other people you trust and respect like family members, close friends, and co-workers, and share the process journey you went through to discover why you exist.
Then ask them…
- What do you think about it?
- What questions do you have about it?
- Do you have suggestions about how I could live out my life purpose?
- Will you help keep me honest and true to my life purpose?
Use this important step of sharing to create accountability and to recruit their support.
Insight: I found when I began to share my life purpose with others not only did they confirm it, but they also helped me see how I was already living out my life purpose.
After sharing and receiving input from others, it is time to write down…
- How you have lived out your life purpose in the past. (Even before you consciously understood your life purpose.)
- How you are currently living out your life purpose. This will give you confidence in your life purpose – why you exist.
- A forward looking list of ways to express how to live out your life purpose in the future. Then prioritize your list.
“Nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose – a point on which the soul may fix it intellectual eye.”
– Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
This is like putting legs under your life purpose and taking action on how to live it out.
First, take your life purpose and internalize it; it needs to become a part of how you see yourself. I encourage you to print it, post it, and memorize it.
Second, implement one idea on your list from #2 above that is the quickest and easiest to accomplish. Evaluate the results, and then go to the next priority on your list to express how you are going to live out your life purpose.
Third, began to integrate your life purpose into your thinking and awareness by…
- Remembering your life purpose when exploring new opportunities.
- Relying on your life purpose when dealing with new challenges.
- Incorporating your life purpose into your decision-making process. Adding questions like… “How will this decision affect the way I living out my life purpose?” And, “Which option most closely aligns with and supports my life purpose?”
- Considering your life purpose when planning and managing whatever receives your time and attention – like your personal goals, and daily calendar.
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”
– Oliver Wendell Holmes
The greatest pleasure and joy of achievement comes from accomplishing what you sense deep inside of you that you have to do. Why? It is why you exist!
And being true to yourself, you will say, “I was born to do this.”
Have you discovered why you exist? Are you ready to live your life purpose? Please share your comments <here>, and please share this blog post with family, friends, and co-workers.